Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sad, but freeing

The other day me and a few coworkers were chatting with a manager and the topic of "managers lie" came up.  My manager asked who lied so I told her-

"To start off with, I can't pull punches or it'd make me twofaced.  For ages now you've told me 'we're transferring you to the exit door (a cushy job where I could bring a book and read during downtime) over and over.  It's been three months, and I'm still in the deli."
She was taken off guard and defended herself "Well they don't want to just shuttle problem employees from one department to another.  Who else lies?"  And I told her about the managers who kept saying "we'll fix this, we'll fix that.  Policy's changing people!  There's a new sheriff in town!"  and the topic digressed into something else.

Now- I wholly agree that I'm a 'problem employee' because I've learned the system and bent it to my will.  For example, my job pays you at 15 minute ticks.  And you can't get a writeup until you're 8 or more minutes late.  So since I found that out, I've been showing up 6 and 7 minutes late and leaving 7 and 8 minutes early.  And this has gone on for ages.

But managers aren't supposed to tell you that!  In telling me that, she took away the carrot on a stick.  I've genuinely been working harder, going out of my way on behalf of BJ's.  But now there's no longer a carrot or a stick... and there was never a rod or a lash because short of assault or getting caught stealing, nobody's ever been fired (they've only quit).

So at first I was hurt- wounded that I was labeled a "problem employee" and I'd never leave the deli... but then I slid more into the additude of Peter Gibbons from Office Space.

I work at a comfortable pace because the savages will wait as long as they're made to wait.
I stroll away to the bakery a few times a day for my afternoon cookie.
And nothing  that job can throw at me can stress me out.

Of course it helps knowing I won't work at that pit for the rest of my life.

17 comments:

  1. To be honest this is why you can't honestly answer questions like that I wish you the best of the luck with your manager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take pride with the label 'problem employee,' since they obviously still see a reason to keep you around. Better than being 'little miss bitch, please take out the trash.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should ask them to make a plaque or something. "Problem employee of the month!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine used to work at wagamama and complained of the exact same thing. I think. He drones on a lot so I ignore most of what he says :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good read,Check out my reviews latest one is halo reach :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when things like that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. leaving/arriving early... smart haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to work at a supermarket also man, it's fucking hell man, i feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ouch
    I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is the same way i handle things. when the manger is going off i am like fuck it who cares lol.look forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. good read, following you

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fucking terrible man... Find another job and quit BJ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Power makes people act like idiots. Ever encountered a bouncer a night club? Biggest bunch of idiots you'll meet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool blog dude. I completely agree with the article. Work sucks! We all gotta do it tho.

    ReplyDelete